Pecan-Crusted Chicken Breast
Courtesy of American Diabetes Association
This chicken dish takes just 8 minutes of prep time, 20 minutes in the oven, and voila! The result is actually impressive enough to serve for a special occasion but comforting enough to pair with your comfy clothes. You’ll enjoy the homestyle crunchiness from the pecans along with a hint of natural sweetness and spiciness. Serve it with a harvest salad and sweet potato fries.
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 4 (6-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Prep a large rimmed baking sheet. For easier cleanup and less sticking, line with parchment paper (optional).
- Place the pecans in a food processor. Pulse until they look like breadcrumbs. Transfer to a rimmed plate.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together the applesauce and mustard. Spoon the applesauce-mustard mixture on top of each breast, spreading it evenly with the back of the spoon. Firmly press the applesauce-mustard side of each chicken breast into the pecans. Place the chicken back on the baking sheet, pecan-crusted side up. Sprinkle any remaining pecans on the chicken; press to adhere. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. Divide among four dinner plates and serve.
Nutrition per serving (4)