Asparagus, Mandarin Orange, Chicken and Rice
Courtesy of USDA MyPlate
Fresh California asparagus, mandarin oranges, chicken, and brown rice make perfect compliments in this Asian-influenced salad.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mandarin orange juice (reserved from oranges)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- For the Salad:
- 3 1/3 cups fresh asparagus (trimmed)
- 2 cans 11 oz cans mandarin oranges (drained, reserve juice)
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast (cut into chunks)
- 3 cups cooked instant brown rice
- In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients, set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Place whole trimmed asparagus in a large skillet with 1 1/2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2-5 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium size bowl, toss all ingredients.
Weekly Meal Planning Tip: When you're planning a dinner with chicken, cook up extra chicken breast and refrigerate for later use in this salad.
Nutrition per serving
MyPlate Food Groups
1 1/2 ounces