What is Asthma?
Asthma is a disease that affects your lungs. It is one of the most common long-term diseases of children; however, adults can have asthma too. Asthma causes breathlessness, chest tightness, coughing at night or early in the morning, and wheezing. If you have asthma, you have it all the time but will have asthma attacks only when something bothers your lungs.
WHAT CAUSES ASTHMA?
Mold or dampness, some allergens such as dust mites, and secondhand tobacco smoke have been linked to developing asthma. Air pollution and viral lung infection may also lead to asthma. For more information on asthma and to learn how to control asthma, click here Asthma | CDC.
DO YOU HAVE ASTHMA?
Taking your controller medication every day, as directed, is important to manage your asthma. Obtaining a 90-day supply of your controller medication can help you avoid missing doses between refills. Your Maryland Physician Care benefits cover a 90-day supply of medications on the preferred drug list.
Take these five easy steps to see if a 90-day supply is right for you:
- Call or make an appointment with your doctor
- Ask your doctor if a 90-day supply of medication is right for you
- Your doctor will need to give you a new prescription with the supply/quantity noted
- Fill the prescription at a participating pharmacy
- Show the pharmacy your Maryland Physicians Care Member ID Card