Sweet Potato Casserole
Courtesy of USDA MyPlate
Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger combined with vanilla extract are a delicious backdrop for sweet potatoes. Use canned sweet potatoes if you don't have whole sweet potatoes on hand. This recipe would be great for Thanksgiving.
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk, nonfat (12 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Rinse sweet potatoes in cold running water and pierce with a fork.
- Microwave sweet potatoes on full power until tender, about 15 minutes. Turn them half way during baking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove skin from sweet potatoes and mash with hand beaters or food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture in an 8 inch baking dish. Bake until casserole is firm in the center, about 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Allow to stand for 5 minutes then cut into 10 squares.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers.
You may want to experiment with using canned sweet potatoes.
Nutrition per serving (1 serving)
MyPlate Food Groups