Courtesy of USDA MyPlate
Chili powder, cocoa, garlic powder, and peanut butter make a traditional Mexican chicken dish. Serve it with brown rice for a mid-week dinner.
- 1 chicken (fryer, cut into pieces, skin and fat removed)
- 5 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 10 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (creamy)
- 1/4 cup water
- Place chicken in a large pot with the 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix chili powder, oregano, cocoa, flour (1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons), pepper, and garlic powder along with 1 cup of water.
- Add mixture from step 2 to chicken in pot, mix well.
- Add peanut butter and 5 cups of water to chicken in pot; mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving (1 serving)
MyPlate Food Groups
4 1/2 ounces