MPC Children's Health
Maryland Physicians Care provides services to help children grow up healthy and happy. The services members can receive depend on a child’s age and program. These sections will help track important steps in a child’s development. Check the Member Handbook for more details.
Lead can be found throughout a child’s environment, especially in soil and paint chips. No safe level of lead exposure in children has been identified.
Exposure to lead can seriously harm a child’s health and cause well-documented adverse effects such as:
- Damage to the brain and nervous system
- Slowed growth and development
- Learning and behavior problems
- Hearing and speech problems
This can cause:
- Lower IQ
- Decreased ability to pay attention
- Underperformance in school