Chicken Noodle Soup
tiempo de cook
Courtesy of USDA MyPlate
Chicken, vegetables, and egg noodles combine for a hearty soup.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (skin removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (washed and chopped)
- 3 carrot (large, scrubbed, thinly sliced)
- 4 cups noodles, dry
- thyme or sage (optional)
- Thaw frozen chicken in refrigerator (about 24 hours), or thaw in microwave just before cooking soup.
- Place chicken pieces in large kettle. Cover completely with water. Cover, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2-3 hours.
- With soap and water, carefully wash your hands and any counter surfaces and equipment that came in contact with raw chicken.
- Remove cooked chicken pieces from broth with tongs or slotted spoon. Cool 10-15 minutes before separating bones from meat. Break meat into bite-size pieces. Remove any bones from broth.
- Remove fat from broth by skimming with spoon, adding and removing ice cubes, or blotting top of broth with paper towels.
- Put chicken meat, seasonings and vegetables into stock.
- Bring broth to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook about 15-20 minutes on medium heat until sliced carrots are crispy-tender.
- Add noodles and boil uncovered for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any noodles that might stick together. (One cup of dry noodles (1.5 ounce) makes one cup of cooked noodles).
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within 2 hours of cooking. If refrigerated, use within 2 days. When reheating, bring to a boil.
Información Nutricional por porción